Three Types of Nebulizers
Nowadays, medical nebulizers are are becoming more and more popular in curing various upper and lower respiratory diseases, such as colds, fever, cough, asthma, sore throat, pharyngitis, rhinitis, bronchitis, pneumoconiosis and other diseases that occur in the trachea, bronchi, alveoli, chest cavity.
Nebulized inhalation therapy is an important and effective treatment in respiratory diseases. A nebulizer can nebulize the liquid medicine into tiny particles, then deliver the medicine to respiratory tract and lungs through breathing, so as to achieve the purpose of painless, rapid and effective treatment.
However, there are mainly three types of nebulizer devices on the market, choosing the right one can be confusing. Follow me and know about the differences between these nebulizer.
They are ultrasonic nebulizer, compression nebulizer, and mesh nebulizer.
It use ultrasonic to nebulize liquid medicine. The liquid medicine vibrates violently under the action of ultrasonic waves, forming numerous small aerosol particles and releasing them.
- Ultrasonic nebulizer can produce large amount of mist in a very short time, quick nebulizing efficiency.
- It’s very quiet during working, it won’t annoy patients when nebulizing.
- During exhalation, the aerosol collects in the device to reduce drug waste.
- The mist particles are too large, most of the medicine particles can only be deposited in the upper respiratory tract, such as mouth and throat. It cannot effectively treat lower respiratory tract diseases because particles cannot reach lesion.
- Ultrasonic nebulizer produces large amount of mist particles in very short time, so the patients may inhale too much water vapor, making the respiratory tract too humid. Then the thick secretions in the respiratory tract that already partially blocked the bronchus may swell after absorbing water and increase the resistance of the respiratory tract, which may cause hypoxia.
- Ultrasonic nebulizer will turn the liquid medicine into water droplets and hang on the wall of the inner cavity, which is not effective for lower respiratory tract diseases, also the demand for medicine is large, which causes waste.
- Temperature will rise during working, which may affect medicine stability, result in treatment effect changing.
-Ultrasonic nebulizer equipment is expensive, and mechanical failure may occur during use.
Compressor nebulizer also called jet nebulizer. It is based on the Venturi jet principle, which uses compressed air to form a high-speed airflow through a small nozzle, then the generated negative pressure drives liquid or other fluids to be ejected onto the isolation layer, splashing around under high-speed impact, the droplets become mist-like particles and ejected from the air outlet pipe.
- It has a simple structure, very durable, more convenient to operate, widely use in clinical application for a long time.
- Nebulize the original medicine without dilution, good treatment effect. There is almost no drug residue, higher medicine utilization rate.
- It uses the original medicine to nebulize, the amount of nebulization inhaled during treatment time is appropriate, which it is not easy to cause the inner wall of the trachea to swell and block the trachea.
- It produces ultra fine nebulized particles, which are not easy to collide and combine, more comfortable to inhale. These particles are able to enter the bronchus, lungs and other trachea so that the treatment effect is excellent. It is especially suitable for the treatment of lower respiratory tract diseases.
- Compressor nebulizer is a purely mechanical product, with extremely low failure rate, low maintenance cost and long service life.
- Large machine size and loud working noise, which may make infants and children scared and resist nebulizing. Large size make it not easy to carry, external power supply is required during work, so it can only be used in hospitals or homes.
- The proportion of nebulized particles below 5μm is only about 60%, the effective utilization rate is low, and a large amount of medicine is wasted.
- Disposable consumables, not environmental friendly, also increase the cost of nebulization.
- Liquid medicine is easily contaminated. Dust accumulates inside the machine will contaminate the liquid medicine after long time use.
- It can only atomize upwards. You must sit upright when nebulizing. If you lie down, the liquid medicine will flow out.
- The stability of the drug is affected. The impact of air flow can easily increase the temperature, thereby affecting the stability of the drug.
Mesh nebulizer is a new generation of nebulizers.
It uses tiny ultrasonic vibration and mesh spray nozzle structure to spray. The electronic high frequency vibration (no harm to human body or animals) go through the high frequency resonance of ceramic nebulizer, break up liquid water molecular structure to produce natural elegance water mist and form ultrafine particles of about 3μm.
- Low working noise, noise below 40dB when working normally, almost entirely silent, children are more receptive to this nebulizer. Mesh nebulizer is suitable for all ages.
- Portable design nebulizer, palm sized machine, easy to hold. Convenient to nebulize at anytime anywhere, save nebulizing cost.
- Lower the waste of medicine. It has high nebulization rate of the liquid medicine, and the residual liquid medicine is only 0.2 ml. It cost less liquid medicine than other type of nebulizer.
- Fine and uniform nebulized particles. The particle diameter are under 5μm, most of them are 2.5μm particles. The liquid medicine can reach the lesion directly and be absorbed by the alveoli and lung fibrous tissue. Suitable use in most respiratory diseases treatment.
- Easy operation, press one button to start nebulizing. You can use it by one hand.
- Most of the mesh nebulizer are easy to clean, some of them even have auto clean function.
- Battery needed to be replace after long time use, increases the cost
- The mesh is very fragile, it’s easily damaged by improper operation, must be careful when using.
In summary, these nebulizer have their own advantages and disadvantages. At present, mesh nebulizer is more suitable for daily use at home. Please choose your nebulizer according to our own need and doctor's recommendation.